Deliciously sweet and gooey Vegan Millionaire Shortbread, created with a vegan shortbread base and tasty salted caramel made from almond butter – that’s next level snacking!
For the shortbread base:
- 190g plain flour
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- a sprinkle of sea salt
- 70g icing sugar
- 130g dairy-free spread
For the almond butter salted caramel:
- 130g smooth almond butter
- 130g light brown sugar
- 1 tin of dairy-free condensed milk (320 g)
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tbsp dairy-free cream
- 3 tbsp cornflour
For the chocolate topping:
- 150g vegan chocolate spread
- sea salt flakes (optional)
- Start with the shortbread base – preheat your oven to 180C (356F), then combine the flour, almond flour, sea salt, and icing sugar in a mixing bowl, then add in the dairy-free spread and use your hands to crumb it into the mix until no big pieces of spread are left and the mixture is crumbly.
- Place the mixture into a 20x20cm square baking tin and press it against the bottom to create an even layer. Pierce the base with a fork multiple times, then bake it in the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your salted almond butter caramel: to a non-stick pan add the almond butter, brown sugar and condensed milk. Give it a good stir to mix and heat over gentle heat until the sugar is caramelised and well incorporated. Sprinkle in the sea salt flakes and fold them in, then stir the cornflour into the vegan cream and pour the mixture into the caramel. Stir to combine, then remove the caramel from the heat and allow for it to cool for 5-10 minutes to slightly harden.
- Pour the caramel on top of the shortbread base and spread it out evenly, then place it in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Melt your vegan chocolate spread in your warm oven at about 50-60C for 10 minutes, so that the spread becomes soft and runny. Pour the chocolate spread on top of the frozen caramel and spread it across the top with the back of a spoon, then sprinkle with sea salt flakes (optional). Transfer to a fridge or freezer to set for at least 2 hrs.
- Remove from the freezer and slice the millionaire shortbread whilst still frozen. Let it rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before digging in & enjoy!
Keywords: vegan millionaire shortbread, millionaire, shortbread, salted caramel, almond butter caramel, vegan chocolate bars