As crazy as it sounds - but yes, Mac n Cheese can be made keto... and vegan!
The important part hereby is to simply replace the macaroni with zero-carb noodles. These don’t add any particular nutritional benefit to your meal in itself but they help create a well-known comfort dish in keto version (& vegan of course, but I don’t think I have to keep mentioning this, after all, everything on this website is vegan ;))
They also help to keep you feeling satisfied after your dish, so they’re perfect to re-create this classical dish on a keto basis.
Important: for the flavor of this dish it’s vital that you use Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - this version tastes less coconut-ty than the non-virgin version - and unless you like your mac with coconut, I’d recommend making sure 😉
Vegan Keto Mac and Cheese
there are only a few simple ingredients you require to make this vegan keto Mac and cheese recipe:
- Macaroni-style zero carb noodles: I used a brand called Slim Pasta
For the cheese sauce:
- soy milk
- tapioca starch
- nutritional yeast
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- mustard powder
- tomato paste
- coconut oil
To start with, prepare your keto-friendly vegan pasta according to packaging instructions.
Add the remainder of the ingredients apart from the coconut oil to a saucepan over medium heat and slowly whisk to combine. Once your keto Mac and cheese sauce begins to simmer and thicken, remove the sauce from that heat and stir in the coconut oil. Return the saucepan to the heat until the mixture is thickening further, then reduce the heat to a minimum and stir in the drained pasta.
Season to taste with salt and pepper - and transfer your vegan keto Mac and cheese to an oven proof dish and bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until a crispy crust forms on top. This step is optional, but really delicious!
Optional additions to your Keto Mac and Cheese
To make your keto Mac and cheese even fancier, there are a couple of delicious additions that you can add.
Here are some ideas for you:
- Seitan pieces
- Baked tofu
- Green peas
- Edamame beans
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!Print
This recipe for deliciously creamy vegan keto-friendly Mac and cheese is simply divine and one that you definitely have to try out if you're on vegan keto.
- 1 pack macaroni-style zero carb noodles
For the cheese sauce:
- 1 cup soy milk (250 ml)
- 1-2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Prepare the pasta according to packaging instructions.
- Add the rest of the ingredients apart from the coconut oil to a saucepan and heat up on medium heat whilst whisking to combine.
- Once everything starts to bubble and thicken, remove the sauce from the heat and add in the coconut oil.
- Heat it up again on the stove until the mix is thickening, then reduce the heat to a minimum and stir in the pasta.
- Serve and top with some salt & pepper and you’re ready to enjoy! As an optional finish, you can also transfer the vegan keto Mac and Cheese to an ovenproof dish and bake in the oven until the crust is crispy
Keywords: Vegan keto Mac and cheese
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without permission. If you wish to re-publish any recipes or images, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!