Easy homemade Vegan French Toast that’ll make your mouth water! Using only whole food ingredients with a natural sweetness from banana and maple.
What you’ll need to make Vegan French Toast
- soft bread slices:
Make sure they’re about 1-inch thickness (about 2.5 cm), I like to use a vegan friendly brioche style loaf.
- ripe banana:
If your banana isn’t spotty and ripe yet, place it in the oven at 160C (320F) for 20-25 minutes until blackened and soft. To create the delicious sweetness and banana flavour in this vegan French toast it’s important to use a ripe banana!
- maple syrup:
Swap out for agave or coconut syrup, if that’s more your thing!
I love the subtle cinnamon flavour in pretty much every sweet breakfast, but feel free to leave this out.
- plant milk:
You can use any non-dairy milk that you would use regularly. I’ve personally opted for soya, but you can also use almond, rice, oat and Co. Go for unsweetened, as we already have a lot of sweetness from the banana and maple in this recipe.
- gram flour:
This is often also called ‘chickpea flour’, I use the one from Grape Tree
Don’t worry, we’re not going for salty here, but to balance out the full flavour of the vegan French toast, we need to add a tiny bit of salt to the batter.
- coconut oil:
This is purely needed for frying our French toast. If you don’t have any at home or don’t like coconut, you can also use rapeseed or any other flavour-neutral alternative that’s suitable for frying.
- maple syrup
- dairy-free yogurt
- fresh or stewed berries
- banana chips
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- easy to follow
- super soft and fluffy
- simple delicious for your vegan brunch
- made with whole food ingredients
Easy Vegan French Toast recipe that’ll make your mouth water! Using only whole food ingredients with a natural sweetness from banana & maple.
- 4 thick slices of soft bread (about 1-inch [2.5cm] thickness)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 180ml plant milk
- 50g gram flour (chickpea flour)
- a pinch of salt
- Coconut oil for frying
- a drizzle of maple syrup
- a dollop of dairy-free yogurt
- fresh berries to top
- a handful of banana chips for a crunch
- Place the ripe banana into a food processor alongside the maple syrup, cinnamon and plant milk and process until smooth.
- Place the chickpea flour in a shallow bowl and stir through a pinch of salt, then pour the banana mix into the middle and whisk everything together into a smooth batter.
- Place your bread slices into the mix, allowing to sit and soak for 1 minute on each side. In the meantime heat a little coconut oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Allow for any excess batter to drip off your slices and place them into the hot pan. Fry them for 3-4 minutes without moving the toast, then carefully flip and cook on the second side for another 3-4 minutes. Continue to cook and flip regularly until your french toast is golden on both sides.
- Serve your vegan french toast with a drizzle of maple syrup, a dollop of vegan yogurt, fresh or stewed berries, and a few banana chips on top for an extra crunch.
Keywords: vegan french toast, french toast, banana french toast, vegan brunch, vegan breakfast
Looking for more vegan brunch options? Here are a few that I think you might enjoy: