Easy Homemade Vegan French Toast that'll make your mouth water! Using only whole food ingredients with a natural sweetness from banana and maple.
Vegan Banana French Toast
Ingredients for Vegan French Toast
- soft bread slices
Make sure they're about 1-inch thickness (about 2.5 cm), I like to use a vegan-friendly brioche-style loaf.
- ripe banana
If your banana isn't spotty and ripe yet, place it in the oven at 160°C (320°F) for 20-25 minutes until blackened and soft. To create the delicious sweetness and banana flavour in this vegan French toast it's important to use a ripe banana!
- maple syrup
Swap out for agave or coconut syrup, if that's more your thing!
I love the subtle cinnamon flavour in pretty much every sweet breakfast, but feel free to leave this out.
- plant milk
You can use any non-dairy milk that you would use regularly. I've personally opted for soya, but you can also use almond, rice, oat and Co. Go for unsweetened, as we already have a lot of sweetness from the banana and maple in this recipe.
- gram flour
This is often also called 'chickpea flour', I use the one from Grape Tree
Don't worry, we're not going for salty here, but to balance out the full flavour of the vegan French toast, we need to add a tiny bit of salt to the batter.
- coconut oil
This is purely needed for frying our French toast. If you don't have any at home or don't like coconut, you can also use rapeseed or any other flavour-neutral alternative that's suitable for frying.
- maple syrup
- dairy-free yogurt
- fresh or stewed berries
- banana chips
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- easy to follow
- super soft and fluffy
- simple delicious for your vegan brunch
- made with whole food ingredients
If - like me - you love Pinterest, you can find me here & if you like, you can pin any of the images on this page to your boards 😊Print
Easy Vegan French Toast recipe that'll make your mouth water! Using only whole food ingredients with a natural sweetness from banana & maple.
- 4 thick slices of soft bread (about 1-inch [2.5cm] thickness)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 180ml plant milk
- 50g gram flour (chickpea flour)
- a pinch of salt
- Coconut oil for frying
- a drizzle of maple syrup
- a dollop of dairy-free yogurt
- fresh berries to top
- a handful of banana chips for a crunch
- Place the ripe banana into a food processor alongside the maple syrup, cinnamon and plant milk and process until smooth.
- Place the chickpea flour in a shallow bowl and stir through a pinch of salt, then pour the banana mix into the middle and whisk everything together into a smooth batter.
- Place your bread slices into the mix, allowing to sit and soak for 1 minute on each side. In the meantime heat a little coconut oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Allow for any excess batter to drip off your slices and place them into the hot pan. Fry them for 3-4 minutes without moving the toast, then carefully flip and cook on the second side for another 3-4 minutes. Continue to cook and flip regularly until your french toast is golden on both sides.
- Serve your vegan french toast with a drizzle of maple syrup, a dollop of vegan yogurt, fresh or stewed berries, and a few banana chips on top for an extra crunch.
Keywords: vegan french toast, french toast, banana french toast, vegan brunch, vegan breakfast
Looking for more vegan brunch options? Here are a few that I think you might enjoy:
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish this recipe, please get in touch via email. Thank you so much for supporting romylondonuk.com!