The ultimate comfort food: A (vegan) fish finger sandwich!
If you’ve expected anything else than a good old comfort food recipe here: you’re in the wrong place!
My first fish finger sandwich
Now I have to admit that this kind of sandwich is nothing that I ate as a kid – people don’t put anything like fish finger sandwich on bread in Germany, that would be an insult to the good German bread 😉
The first time I’ve ever seen a fish finger sandwich was about 7 years ago at a friends house: his mum had just made him, yes, a fish finger sandwich. To be frankly honest: I didn’t know what to think of this and probably thought it was some kind of inside joke that I wasn’t aware of – but no: these British people were actually serious! It still took a few months until I tried my own first fish finger sandwich but I was a fan right away.
Having been vegan for just over 4 years now, you can probably imagine that it’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed one of these. Not too sure what came over me to be honest – but all of a sudden I had the thought ‘hey, how about a fish finger sandwich’?! – so challenge accepted and here we go!
The fish replacement
Luckily we’re in 2018 and there are some amazing vegan fish fingers out there – Quorn have really outdone themselves with their vegan fish fingers (and no, this post is totally not sponsored!) to be honest: whenever I see them in the store I pick up at least two packs of these – one for myself and one for Nick, cause ain’t nobody sharing these gorgeous creations!
Definitely high on my list of dinner cravings – and so super easy to create!Print
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 pack of Quorn Fishless Fingers
- Vegan Margarine
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 1/4 tsp fresh chopping mint
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Ketchup for serving (optional)
- Prepare the Quorn Fishless Fingers according to packaging instructions – I personally prefer preparing them in the oven, simply to not make them too oily.
- Lightly toast the bread slices in a toaster. By lightly pre-toasting them you ensure that you can easier spread the vegan margerine – however if you’re using ‘proper’ German bread this might not be necessary 😉
- Spread a little margerine on one side of each slice of bread, then toast the bread in the warm oven until golden.
- Top with the fishless fingers and Ketchup and you’re ready to dig in!
- To prepare the mushy peas for the side, simply place the frozen peas with a little oil in a saucepan on medium heat and slowly defrost the peas whilst stirring regularly. Once defrosted add a little salt and pepper and the mint.
- If – like me – you like your mushy peas with some texture, simply use a potato masher to mash the peas in the saucepan. If you prefer a smoother texture, simply add the cooked peas to a food processor and blend until the desired texture is created.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 486
- Sugar: 5.9
- Fat: 22.4g
- Saturated Fat: 10.9g
- Carbohydrates: 50.1g
- Protein: 44g
Keywords: fish finger sandwich, fish finger sandwich recipe, vegan fish finger sandwich
Finally: stir in the vegan mayonnaise for some extra creaminess and you’re ready to go!
Instead of vegan mayonnaise you can also use a spoonful of vegan cream cheese – whatever you prefer 🙂