Vegan cream corn is the perfect addition to your next dinner party! It works perfectly as a side dish for a divine Sunday roast or a festive meal such as Thanksgiving or Christmas, and it's a delicious vegan twist on the American classic.
- 2 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp dried chives
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 300ml dairy-free cream
- 1 block vegan cheese (I used the Mature version from Violife!)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Start by melting the dairy-free butter in a large saucepan and place the sliced shallots inside. Sprinkle with the smoked sea salt and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened, and add the crushed garlic.
- Stir in the sweetcorn and season with a pinch of nutmeg, dried chives, and sweet paprika powder. Toss to coat evenly, then pour in the dairy-free cream and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Slowly add the block of vegan cheese either in small pieces or ideally shred it to allow it to evenly melt. Stir with a spatula until the vegan cheese has melted and incorporated with the sauce. If your mix is too thick, add a little bit of plant milk.
- Heat the creamed corn all the way through, in season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At this point, you can serve your creamed corn right away, or - as I like to do it - transfer it to an oven dish, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 200°C for an extra crunch on top!
You can store your creamed corn in an outside container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This creamed corn recipe is the perfect side dish for your next festive meal!
I love using smoked sea salt for this recipe, but if you don't have any you can swap this out for regular sea salt.
Keywords: vegan creamed corn