Wonderfully easy Vegan Chocolate Butter Cookies Recipe – veganised version of my German childhood recipe! Made with aquafaba, cacao, and an almond placed on top for the traditional finish.
- 200g vegan spread, softened
- 30ml aquafaba (unsalted chickpea water, weight before whipping)
- 40g raw cacao powder
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a handful of blanched almonds
- Place the chickpea water in a mixing bowl and blend with an electric hand mixer for 5-6 minutes or until stiff peaks are formed.
- Carefully add in the softened butter, cacao powder, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Into a separate mixing bowl, sieve the flour, cornflour, and baking powder, then slowly mix the dry ingredients into the aquafaba mix.
- Cover the cookie batter in cling film and place it in the fridge for about an hour to harden.
- Once the hour elapses, preheat your oven to 200C (390F).
- Shape the dough into a log of roughly 4cm diameter and use a sharp knife to cut the log into cookies of 1cm thickness.
- Place the cookies on a lined baking tray and press a blanched almond onto the middle of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 10 minutes and allow them to cool for 20 minutes before removing them from the baking tray.
Keywords: vegan christmas cookies, German christmas cookies, vegan christmas cookies recipe, German christmas cookies recipe, butter cookies recipe, vegan butter cookies recipe