Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe (Marbled) – this delicious loaf combines 2 separate banana cake batters to create this stunning pattern: one is the classic banana bread batter, the other is flavoured with melted chocolate – to make this classic even more indulgent and drool-worthy.
Oh how have I been craving Chocolate Banana Bread! It’s been long overdue that I’ll actually add a recipe for it to my blog, especially as I bake them very regularly. Believe me when I say that the wait is worth it (trust me) as it helped me perfect the recipe for this gorgeous and drool-worthy Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe (Marbled), and yes: of course it’s vegan!
The 2 layers of this marbled chocolate banana bread
In this Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe (Marbled) I actually combined 2 types of banana bread batter – which together create the marble effect. To keep things simple, I’ve created a batch of classic banana bread batter, then divided it into 2 parts and added melted vegan chocolate to one half in order to make it deliciously chocolatey.
The chocolate that I’ve used in this case is the Pure Heavenly Dark Chocolate – I love this chocolate as it’s vegan, deliciously smooth, and sugar free! Check out the other flavours too – their orange chocolate is one of my favourites as it reminds me so much of Jaffa Cake (yes, I’m drooling as I type this!)
To sweeten my batter I’ve added maple syrup in this recipe as I like to keep my recipes mostly refined sugar free, where possible. The banana already adds some natural sweetness to the loaf, so you don’t actually need that much maple syrup.
What you’ll need to make this Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- Oat milk (or your favourite plant-based milk)
- Maple syrup
- Self-raising flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Dark chocolate, melted (I’ve been using Pure Heavenly)
How to bake the perfect Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
Making your vegan banana bread batter
Before you start mixing, preheat your oven to 160ºC and then gently melt your dark chocolate over a double boiler on low/medium heat.
While you’re waiting for the chocolate to melt, peel your bananas and mash them up in a large fork using the back of a fork. Then when it’s all mashed up, pour in your oat milk and maple syrup before whisking it the ingredients together.
Now in a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, including your flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt before slowly pouring in the banana mixture and stirring it all with a spatula. Once it’s all mixed, you’ll want to split your batter into two medium-sized bowls
Next add the melted chocolate to just one of those bowls and stir it in so that the ingredients are fully combined.
Creating the marble effect
Once all the batter ingredients are combined and you have divided the 2 batter parts, grease a small loaf tin and spoon dollops of batter into the tin. First 2 dollops of regular banana bread batter, then 2 dollops of the chocolate batter and continue until you’ve used up all the batter.
To increase the marble effect, take a knife and run it through the middle of the batter once or twice – don’t overdo it as the batters might combine otherwise.
Place your marbled chocolate banana bread in the oven and wait for the magic to happen!
Baking your vegan marbled banana bread
Place in the oven at 160ºC for about 45 minutes, before checking your loaf. If a toothpick comes out dry, set the loaf pan aside to cool down completely before removing the banana bread (very important!). If it’s not quite ready, then place the banana bread in the oven for another 12-15 minutes or until the toothpick comes out dry.
All you have to do now is enjoy! 🙂
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- dairy free
- egg free
- great for a cheeky breakfast!
- deliciously chocolatey
- stunningly marbled
- completely plant based
Super easy recipe for this gorgeous Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe (Marbled) – using only simple ingredients to create this moist & chocolatey marbled loaf.
- 4 large ripe bananas (can use frozen, check the notes below!)
- 150ml oat milk, or your favourite plant-based milk
- 80ml maple syrup
- 280g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 40g dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat your oven to 160ºC. Start by gently melting your dark chocolate over a double boiler on low/medium heat.
- In the meantime peel and mash the ripened bananas in a medium-size bowl with the back of a fork.
- Pour in the oat milk and the maple syrup and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking, soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Slowly pour in the wet mix of banana-oat-maple and stir with a spatula to combine.
- Divide the batter into 2 medium bowls, and add the melted chocolate to one of them. Stir until the melted chocolate is fully incorporated in the smooth batter.
- Grease a loaf tin with a little coconut oil, then spoon the batter into the tin, alternating between the chocolate and non-chocolate batter. This will give your banana bread a gorgeous pattern.
- Place in the oven at 160ºC for about 45 minutes, then check your bread. If a toothpick comes out dry, set the loaf tin aside to cool down completely before removing the banana bread (important!). If not, then place the banana bread in the oven for another 12-15 minutes or until the toothpick comes out dry.
If you’re using frozen bananas instead of fresh, ripened bananas, simple add them to a high-speed blender alongside the oat milk and blend until smooth – then proceed with the recipe as usual.
Keywords: banana bread, vegan
Looking for more delicious vegan cakes and bakes? Good news, I’ve got loads! Here are some of my favourites: