Letting your Big Mac dreams come true with this super simple Vegan Big Mac Sauce recipe!
Ever had that sudden craving for some really good comfort food? A good old burger is always at the top of the list when it comes to my favourite comfort foods – and this recipe for Vegan Big Mac Sauce absolutely hits the right spot!
What inspired this recipe
What inspired me to create a vegan Big Mac version were the latest plant-based patties by Naturli. They are a Danish brand and all about the plant based comfort foods! Their current range includes burger patties & vegan mince, plant-based milk drinks, the best vegan butter I’ve ever tried and also ice cream (which sadly is not yet launching in the UK) – and it’s super exciting that their patties & mince are available in Sainsburys from 27th June! I definitely can’t wait, cause this stuff is absolutely amazing.
I actually went to their launch party a couple of weeks ago which was at the Danish Embassy – and I yes, I felt super official going to an event at the embassy, ha! Their lovely team had a couple of burgers prepared as well as drinks and ice cream (in amazing flavours such as hazelnut & liquorice!). And let me tell you: that hazelnut ice cream was pure perfection! It’s been at least 7 years since I last had some, but growing up nut-flavours including hazelnut were always my absolute favourites and the Naturli one was to die for. Seems like I have to move to Denmark now, as it’s not yet launching in the UK, ay?
Sorry for getting off track here with ice cream talks – let’s get back to the burger patties!
Vegan Cheese Sauce
As I started to prepare my ingredients for the Big Mac I had a sad realisation: I was out of vegan cheese slices! What do to? Well I chose to make my own vegan cheese in form of a thick cheese sauce to replace the sliced cheese, but of course feel free to use ready cut slices if you have them available (though self-made tastes better!) 😉
How to assemble a Vegan Big Mac
When it come to re-creating an authentic feeling Big Mac, the order of your burger toppings are very important. Based on the original Big Mac, here’s how to assemble your vegan Big Mac from bottom to top:
Big Mac Sauce
Vegan Cheese slice
Big Mac Sauce
Cheese Sauce (or slice)
The middle bun
As you may already know a classic Big Mac holds an extra bun in its middle. For this recreation I’ve tested out a few options, which can come in handy depending on what you have to hand:
- A toasted English muffin: Cut this into a smaller disc – works perfectly when your burger buns and patties are roughly of an equal diameter.
- Another burger bun: Same as with the muffin, simply cut this into a thinner disk and toast lightly.
- A slice of toast: if you don’t have any of the above 2 options to hand, this can be a helpful replacement. Carefully cut it to a round shape of the diameter of your burger patties.
When the real comfort food is calling this Vegan Big Mac is just what you need! Easy to make sauce & you can use your favourite vegan burger patties.
The Burger Basics:
- 1 burger bun (preferably with sesame seeds)
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 burger bun for the middle part (alternatively you can use half of an English muffin!)
- 2Naturli Patties (= 1 package)
- 1 lettuce leaf
- 1/2 pickled gherkin
Vegan Big Mac Sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp pickle juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
Cheese Sauce (optional):
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground mustard seeds
- 1 tsp tapioca flour/starch
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- Start by preparing the buns: cut the middle bun to size and carefully toast them in a non-stick pan until lightly golden (without oil!). Set aside when done.
- Prepare your burger patties according to the packaging instructions.
- (optional) Prepare your cheese sauce – if you’re using ready made vegan cheese, then skip this step. Simply whisk up all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once the sauce gets hot enough you can tell that the texture begins to change as the tapioca starch is activated. Set aside to cool once you have a thick & gooey consistency.
- To create the amazing Vegan Big Mac Sauce combine all ingredients with a whisk and set aside, ready to assemble.
- Wash the lettuce, finely slice the onion and carefully slice the gherkin.
- Assembly time! And in order to give the burger the perfect finish, create the perfect Big Mac order, which is (bottom to top):
- bottom bun
- Big Mac Sauce
- chopped onion
- cheese sauce (alternatively: vegan cheese slice)
- middle bun
- Big Mac Sauce
- chopped onion
- cheese sauce (or slice)
- top bun
7. Admire and Enjoy!
Keywords: vegan big mac, vegan big mac sauce, burger sauce, vegan burger sauce, burger sauce recipe, Big Mac sauce recipe
Oh my days, right? At least that was my thought when I took the first bite! It’s been YEARS since I last had a Big Mac (obviously) and this recipe goes to show that no animals need to be harmed for this flavour explosion in your mouth. You’re welcome!
If you’re looking for more vegan burger inspo, then check out my other vegan burgers here!