Indonesian-inspired fried rice full of delicious flavours and colourful additions – this Tempeh Nasi Goreng Recipe is perfect for a delicious mid-week dinner excursion of flavours!
- 1 pack of tempeh, cut into bite-size chunks (200 g)
- 200 g basmati rice, cooked
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 100 g flat green beans, sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- a handful of roasted peanuts
- fresh limes to serve
For the sauce:
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 red chillies
- a thumb-size piece of ginger, sliced
- 3 Tbsp Tamari
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- juice of a lime
- chilli paste to taste (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 220ºC. Place the chillies on a lined baking tray and bake for 5 minutes, then add the unpeeled garlic cloves & the ginger and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the garlic and ginger soften and the chillies blacken.
- Remove the chilli stalks, peel the garlic cloves and add them to a small blender with the ginger, tamari soy sauce, coconut sugar and lime juice. Blitz everything until smooth, adjust to your personal taste with chilli paste.
- Cook the tempeh pieces in a little peanut oil in a wok until they begin to crisp, then remove them from the pan and set them aside. Add the white parts of the sliced spring onions and stir fry them until soft, then remove them and set them aside.
- Add the rest of the peanut oil to the wok and stir fry the veggies until soft, adding the peppers and cabbage last. Set the stir-fried veggies aside.
- Pour the blended sauce into the wok with a little water and cook it for 2 minutes, then add in the rice and mix well.
- Add the spring onions, veggies and tempeh back to the wok and heat through.
- Serve with roasted peanuts and green spring onions.
- Serving Size: per portion
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 14.8
- Sodium: 1042.7
- Fat: 11.2
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 48.3
- Fiber: 7.7
- Protein: 11.7
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: tempeh nasi goreng, vegan nasi goreng, nasi goreng recipe