These crunchy homemade sweet potato crackers pack a lot of flavour and are a perfect addition to your next (vegan) cheeseboard! They are created with raw sweet potato and flavoured with balsamic vinegar, peanut butter and maple syrup, making them a wonderful sweet and savoury option that works wonderfully alongside (vegan) cheese, chutneys and Co.
These potato crackers are easy to make from scratch with just simple ingredients and equipment required, and they are baked crispy in the oven.
- 400 g raw sweet potato, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 120 g milled flaxseeds
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Grating and combining the dough: Start by shredding the sweet potato into a medium-size mixing bowl. Finely grate the garlic and add it to the bowl, then add in the smooth peanut butter, flaxseeds, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup.
- Resting and preheating: Combine everything into a firm dough and set it aside for at least 15 minutes. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 100°C (212°F).
- Rolling and cutting the crackers: Divide the dough into 2 parts for easier handling and roll each half into a firm ball with your hands. Place each ball onto non-stick baking parchment or silicone baking mat, place another sheet on top and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to roughly 1mm thickness. Carefully remove the sheet on top and use a pizza cutter to gently score the sweet potato dough to pre-cut the shape you want your crackers to be in.
- Baking: Transfer the sweet potato crackers to the oven and bake them in the middle of a fan-assisted oven at 100°C (212°F) for 30-45 minutes, rotating the trays halfway through for an even bake.
- Cooling: Remove your crackers from the oven once the crackers begin to look dehydrated in the middle and the edges begin to brown. Allow for the crackers to cool for 30 minutes before removing them from the parchment.
- Serving: Serve the crackers alongside your favourite cheeses and chutneys!
It’s best to stay near the oven whilst baking your crackers as the edges can easily burn if they are rolled thinner. Make sure to rotate the baking tray halfway through the baking time to ensure a more even bake.
If your crackers on the edges are ready to go, but the middle of the tray still needs some extra baking, let the tray cool, remove the finished crackers and simply return the soft ones to the oven for another 10-20 minutes or until done.
Keywords: sweet potato crackers, potato crackers, cheeseboard crackers, homemade crackers recipe, vegan cheeseboard crackers, sweet potato crackers recipe