This recipe for Sticky BBQ King Oyster Mushrooms is great both pan-fried and grilled on the barbecue! With a delicious smoky sauce that’s easy to whip up, it’s perfect for your next BBQ party or that special midweek-something!
- 400g king oyster mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the sticky BBQ sauce:
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tamari soya sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Start by slicing your king oyster mushrooms into 1/2 slices lengthwise. Carefuly score them with a small, sharp knife in a criss-cross pattern, then place the slices into a large pan over high heat and fry for 4-5 minutes until they have softened and released the majority of their liquid, flipping them halfway through.
- In the meantime, whip up your sticky BBQ sauce by combining the tomato paste, tamari, maple syrup, smoked paprika and chilli flakes (if using) in a small bowl. If you’re panfrying your mushrooms, then add the olive oil to the pan now, fry your mushrooms for 2 more minutes, then add your sticky BBQ sauce and fry for 10-15 minutes on low/medium heat or until the sauce has reduced and lightly caramelized on your mushrooms.
- For the BBQ version, stir the olive oil into your BBQ sauce and brush the softened mushrooms with the sauce before placing them into a BBQ tray on your hot barbecue. You can also keep the mushrooms in an air-tight container covered in the sauce overnight (place it in the fridge!) for some extra flavour.
- Grill the mushrooms for roughly 5 minutes on each side or until wonderfully charred and caramelized.
- Serve these delicious mushrooms on rice or with a side of grilled corn & fresh salad.