This creamy vegan pasta sauce is created with raw cashews and roasted red peppers giving it a wonderfully sweet, smoky flavor and the creamiest texture - without the use of any cream!
It's perfect for a quick and easy family dinner and also tastes great reheated, making it perfect for your lunch box.
Here's everything you need for this recipe:
- cashew nuts - make sure to use raw, unroasted and unsalted cashew nuts. For the recipe you could soak them for 4-6 hours to soften, or boil them for 20 minutes like I did to speed up the softening process.
- onion & garlic - our basic aromatics for the sauce
- sweet red peppers - I used pointy sweet red peppers and roasted them for the pasta sauce. Alternatively, you can also use jarred roasted red peppers as a shortcut and skip the roasting.
- tomato puree - I like to use unsalted, organic tomato paste
- nutritional yeast - you can get it from most health food stores or order it online. It's a delicious vegan pantry staple that I like to use for all kinds of recipes to add a little cheesiness!
See recipe card at the bottom of the post for quantities.
Serve the creamy pasta sauce with your favorite pasta! It's delicious with spaghetti or linguine but also works a treat with vegan ravioli or short pasta such as fusilli.
Store the pasta sauce in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If - like me - you love Pinterest, you can find me here & if you like, you can pin any of the images on this page to your boards 😊
Roasted Red Pepper & Cashew Pasta Sauce
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (40 g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (100 g) roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt & black pepper to taste
- fresh herbs to garnish
- 2 portions of your favorite pasta
- Place the raw cashews into boiling water and allow to soak for 20 minutes, then drain. In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan and saute the onions and garlic until soft. Sprinkle in the salt to speed up the process.
- Place your red peppers over an open flame, turning regularly, until the skin is blackened - or alternatively, place it under the grill for 20-25 minutes. Allow for the peppers to cool down for 10 minutes, then gently peel off the skin, slice them in half and remove the seeds.
- Prepare your pasta according to packaging instructions.
- Transfer the peppers, onions & garlic and softened cashews to a blender and blend them alongside the tomato puree, nutritional yeast and 60ml of pasta water until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper and heat the sauce over medium heat, then add in your ravioli and serve garnished with fresh herbs.
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish this recipe, please get in touch via email. Thank you so much for supporting romylondonuk.com!