Deliciously cheesy vegan peri peri grilled chicken style taquitos created with Quorn Makes Amazing Peri Peri Strips - easy to make from scratch or with ready-made tortilla wraps. Great for both barbecue and skillet and delicious dipped into your favourite sauces!
For the homemade tortilla wraps:
- 220g all-purpose flour (plain)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 125 ml lukewarm water
For the taquito filling:
- 1 pack Quorn Makes Amazing Peri Peri Strips
- 8 slices of vegan cheeze (cheddar style)
- 3-4 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 60g tinned sweetcorn, drained
For the glaze:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soya sauce (or tamari, if you're gluten-free)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
For the taquito 'glue':
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1-2 tbsp water
- Start by creating the tortilla wraps. If you're using store-bought ones instead of making your own, then skip ahead to step 3.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, then stir in the olive oil and lukewarm water with a wooden spoon. Knead the dough ball on a lightly floured surface for 2 minutes or until smooth, then set aside to rest for 15 minutes. Divide the dough ball into 8 equal pieces and use a rolling pin to roll them into thin round tortillas of about 1mm thickness (basically as thin as you can!). Heat a large skillet over medium heat and heat each tortilla on each side for about 30 to 60 seconds. You will see when they need flipping as soon as little bubbles appear!
- Start filling your taquitos: Cut a vegan cheese slice in half and place both halves in a line onto the bottom half of the tortilla, place a line of Quorn Makes Amazing Peri Peri Strips on top, then add 1-2 tsp of sweetcorn and a drizzle of BBQ sauce. Repeat until all tortillas are used up.
- In a small jug, combine the flour and water into a thick and sticky paste. Roll up each taquito as tightly as you can without ripping the tortilla, then brush about 1/2 tsp of the glue onto the end of the tortilla to 'glue' them shut. Place them face down whilst you're heating the BBQ.
- Once your BBQ is ready, combine the olive oil, soya sauce, maple syrup and smoked paprika to create a glaze and brush each taquito with the glaze, then grill on the BBQ for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Serve the grilled peri peri taquitos alongside your favourite dips (how about this spicy butterbean dip for an extra kick?) and get dipping!
Instead of making your own tortilla wraps, you can also use store-bought tortillas.
Keywords: vegan bbq, grilled peri peri chicken vegan, vegan chicken, vegan taquitos, vegan barbecue