Simple & delicious nut free pumpkin seed pesto in under 5 minutes! (And yes it’s vegan also!)
The best recipes ‘happen’ spontaneously – and so did this super tasty nut free pumpkin seed pesto, that actually happened as I had run out of cashews, that I usually create my homemade vegan pestos with. Out of this little kitchen emergency (cause it’s totally an emergency when you’re hungry for a good ol’ pesto!) I had to get creative and this delicious vegan pesto was ‘born’!
It’s super easy to create – and all that you need utensil-wise is a food processor, ideally a small one, as the pesto will not be a huge mass and if your processor is too large, it might be difficult to blend the nut free pumpkin sees pesto properly without adding additional liquid.
If you’re however struggling to have everything come together nicely in your food processor, you can add 1-2 Tbsp water and hopefully it’ll run smoother.
I’ve served the pesto alongside some delicious vegan gnocchi (check out the Cucina ones at Aldi, they’re vegan!) – and completed the dish with some oven roasted cherry tomatoes, which complimented the garlicky pesto just perfectly with their sweet juiciness. But you can add the pesto to whatever tickles your fancy – whether that’s gnocchi, pasta, grilled veggies or co.
This nut free pumpkin seed pesto is:
- gluten free
- nut free
- dairy free
- easy to create in just 5 minutes
- super delicious
- extra garlicky
- storable in the fridge for up to 3 days
Whether you’re avoiding nuts or not – this nut free pumpkin seed pesto has just turned out too delicious not to share it with you!
- 25g pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 TbspExtra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil
- 1 handful of fresh spinach
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 black pepper
- Add the pumpkin seeds to a small food processor alongside the nutritional yeast and olive oil and pulse until the pumpkin seeds are roughly broken down.
- Add the garlic, basil, spinach and lemon to the food processor and process until you get a smooth pesto.
- Finish the pesto by mixing in the onion powder, salt and pepper last and either instantly serve the pesto or keep it in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: vegan pesto, nut free pesto, pumpkin seed pesto
Looking for more vegan meal ideas? Check out these vegan mains.