Deliciously warming healthy vegan lentil moussaka - oven ready in just a few simple steps and perfect to feed an entire family or to use as a delicious healthy vegan meal prep.
For the base:
- 1kg potatoes, peeled
- 3 large aubergines
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to brush
- Sea salt & pepper to sprinkle
For the lentil filling:
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tins of organic lentils, cooked
- 200g tomato puree
- 200g chopped tomatoes (tinned)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
For the béchamel sauce:
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 500ml soy milk
- 1.5 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Cut the aubergines lengthwise into about 4-5 slices, equal in thickness. Slice the potatoes slices of around 1cm thickness and arrange all on 2 baking sheets. Lightly brush them with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a medium size pan, heat the extra virgin olive oil, add the onion and cook for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute, then add in the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, spices and lentils. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Prepare the vegan béchamel sauce by whisking all ingredients in a medium size saucepan on medium heat, simmer until the sauce thickens and set aside.
- Grease a large oven proof baking dish and arrange roughly half of the baked potato slices along the bottom, then top with a layer of aubergine. Gently pour in the entire lentil mixture, add the remaining aubergine slices, top with the rest of the potato slices and finish off by pouring the béchamel sauce across the top of the dish.
- Transfer the dish to the oven for about 30 minutes on 180C and serve either fresh or keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The portions of this dish are perfectly freezer safe and make for a delicious meal prep!
Keywords: vegan moussaka, meat free, meat less, moussaka, lentil moussaka