Fluffy, sweet vegan aquafaba meringue ghosts – just in time for the spooky season!
- chickpea water of 1 tin of chickpeas (also called aquafaba!)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 170g icing sugar
- 1–2 tsp dairy-free chocolate spread OR 1-2 pieces of dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat your oven to 130C.
- Drain your chickpeas and place the chickpea water into a large mixing bowl. Ensure there are no other food leftovers on the inside of your bowl as any form of oil will prevent your aquafaba from fluffing properly.
- Add the cream of tartar to the bowl, then whisk it with an electric whisk for roughly 5-7 minutes until it has more than doubled in size. Your aquafaba should become white, foamy and fluffy at this point. Mix until you get stiff peaks that can hold themselves up.
- Slowly add in the icing sugar spoon by spoon whilst continuing to whisk. Once all the sugar has been mixed in, you should end up with a glossy, fluffy mixture.
- Transfer the aquafaba to a piping bag with a round nozzle and pipe onto a lined baking tray into ghost shapes.
- Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hours. Please leave the oven shut for the entire baking time. Once the baking time elapses, leave the ghosts in the oven to cool down entirely. Remove once they have cooled entirely.
- Gently heat 1-2 teaspoons of chocolate spread and use a toothpick to carefully add the eyes and mouths onto your fluffy ghosts. For best results, let it set for an hour before serving, or keep the ghosts in an airtight container for up to a week.
Keywords: vegan meringue, meringue ghosts, vegan meringue ghosts, vegan halloween recipe, vegan halloween recipes, vegan halloween treats, vegan halloween ghosts