Easy Vegan Parmigiana Recipe – This delicious parmigiana is wonderfully cheesy and super easy to make and bake!
Buona sera, guys! Yes, it’s finally time – here is my much-requested Easy Vegan Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe (or aubergine as we like to call it in the UK 😉)
I tried this recipe for the first time about a week ago – simply because I had bought a load of aubergines from the market a few days before and I needed to use them up. What better use than a Parmigiana for them?
Before I went vegan I was in a committed relationship with Italian food, but I’ve never actually had a Parmigiana before… So I can’t really compare my recipe to a non-vegan version, but I can tell you: This vegan version is the bomb!
What you’ll need to make this Easy Vegan Parmigiana Recipe
- Aubergines (or eggplants if you’re in the US!)
- Vegan cheese
- Tomato sauce (either self-made or store-bought if it has to be quick)
- breadcrumbs (for a non-gluten free option)
How to make this Easy Vegan Parmigiana Recipe
To start with, wash your aubergines and cut them into long slices about 5mm thick.
Then heat a large pan (without oil!!) and grill the aubergine/eggplant slices for about 30 seconds on both sides.
Pro Tip: Don’t use oil or liquids to cook the aubergines, at this point we want them to be grilled dry – trust me 😉
Next, get an oven-proof dish and add a layer of tomato sauce to the bottom before adding a layer of your aubergine slices, plus some vegan cheese, basil and salt. Repeat this process until all the aubergine has been used up.
Once you’ve ran out of aubergine, top with a layer of tomato sauce and top with vegan cheese. If you don’t mind your parmigiana including gluten then you could also sprinkle some breadcrumbs over the top for a little extra crunch!
Pro Tip: You could even use panko bread crumbs if you’re feeling fancy!
Now all you have to do is bake your parmigiana for about 25 minutes at 190ºC. When it’s cooked, serve up and enjoy!
Making your parmigiana extra cheesy!
If you’re looking to make a really cheesy parmigiana, why not try experimenting by adding some vegan mozzarella, some extra nutritional yeast or even 1 tbsp vegan parmesan – or two!!
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- gluten free
- egg free
- dairy free
- super easy to make
- wonderfully moreish
- completely plant based
- 2 large aubergines (eggplants if you’re in the US!)
- 1 block of vegan cheese
- 2 cups tomato sauce (either self-made or store-bought if it has to be quick)
- breadcrumbs (for a non-gluten-free option)
- Wash the aubergines and cut them lengthwise into slices about 5mm thick.
- Heat a large pan and grill the aubergine slices in there for about half a minute on both sides. Ensure not to use any oil or liquid for this as the slices are supposed to grill dry.
- Use an oven-proof dish and add a layer of the tomato sauce first, then a layer of aubergine slices, then salt, vegan cheese and basil. Repeat.
- End with a layer of tomato sauce, topped with cheese. If you don’t want to go gluten-free, feel free to add some breadcrumbs to the top for an extra crunch.
- Bake everything for about 25 minutes at 190ºC.
- Enjoy the scent when it comes out of the oven – it is pure heaven!
Looking for more easy and delicious dinners? Why not try some of these: