Vegan Baozi-Style Buns stuffed with a delicious tofu-based filling with added ginger, garlic and spring onions (scallions).
- 1 tbsp oil for brushing
For the dough
- 300g plain flour
- 1 packet instant yeast (about 2 ¼ tsp)
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 150 ml water
For the filling
- 1 box of firm tofu
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1 inch chopped ginger
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
Method for the dough:
- Heat the water until it is lukewarm and mix the yeast with the warm water and 1/4 tsp sugar. Let the mix sit for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the flour in a large bowl. Pour the water with yeast slowly to the bowl and stir.
- Knead the flour into a soft dough.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for around 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- When the dough is ready, get it out of the bowl and punch the air out.
- Then roll the dough into a long log around 1 inch in diameter.
- Scatter some flour on your board and cut the log to small sections around 1 inch long.
- Roll the small dough into round wrapper with thinner edges.
Method for the filling:
- Heat up the oil in a pan, then stir fry ginger and garlic until you can smell the aroma.
- Add the scrambled tofu in with salt and light soy sauce. Mix well.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the chopped spring onions in. Then we have the fillings.
Making the baozi
- Add the filling to the middle of your baozi wrapper, then start folding the baozi in a circle.
- Brush some oil on the bottom of each baozi and put them into the steamer.
- Heat up water in a pan and begin to steam. Steam for at least 15 minutes after the water begins to boil.
- Once steamed, your baozi are ready to eat – Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 142
- Sodium: 90 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.1 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 7 mg
Keywords: Steamed bun Recipe, Chinese Steamed Bun, Chinese Steamed Bun Recipe, Baozi Recipe