This vegan mac & cheese burger is the ultimate next level comfort food!
- 2 vegan burgers
- 2 gherkins
- lettuce & ketchup to serve
For the Mac & Cheese Buns:
- 300ml plant milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- a pinch of turmeric
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 100g vegan cheddar style cheese, shredded
- 150g macaroni pasta
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp gram flour
- 5 tbsp plant milk
- oil to fry
For the bacon bits:
- 50g coconut chips
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 tsp black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1⁄4 tsp smoked paprika powder
- Start by preparing the mac & cheese buns. Heat the plant milk over medium heat until it steams, then add in the nutritional yeast, sea salt, turmeric, tomato paste and vegan cheese. Stir occasionally until the cheese is fully melted and all ingredients combined to a cheese sauce.
- In the meantime prepare your macaroni according to packaging instructions.
- Add the cooked macaroni into the cheese sauce and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once the mac & cheese are cold enough to handle, form the 4 mac & cheese buns with your hands. Place them on a lined tray and place them in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare your bacon bits: Coat the coconut chips in the rest of the ingredients and gently fry on a low/medium heat until the chips become crispy, sticky and almost dry. Stay nearby as they can easily burn. Set them aside to cool and break them up with your fingers, if needed.
- Prepare your vegan burgers according to packaging instructions.
- Remove the burger buns from the freezer and heat a little oil in a non-stick pan. Whisk up the gram flour and plant milk in a small bowl and coat every bun generously in the mix. Cover with the breadcrumbs on all sides and fry in the hot oil until golden. Be very gently when turning the buns in the pan.
- Slice your gherkins and assemble your burger with the maz & cheese buns, lettuce, ketchup and gherkins!
Keywords: vegan burger, vegan mac & cheese burger, vegan mach & cheese, mac and cheese, vegan mac and cheese