Making lentil salads great again: these Roasted Cabbage Wedges are full of flavour and definitely add a special something to your dish!
I’ve recently ended up with a bunch of cabbage in my kitchen – it started to accumulate from all the fruit & veg deliveries I’ve had over the past couple of weeks (cause to be honest: they always arrive with at least one cabbage!). Wanting to create something slightly new other than just plainly frying the cabbage or making coleslaw, I decided to make a form of roasted cabbage ‘salad’ – and this is how I got to create this Roasted Cabbage Wedges and Lentil Salad!
The roasted cabbage wedges are absolutely delicious and full of umami flavour and work deliciously alongside the lentils and yoghurt dressing that I’ve served them with.
The entire dish is very light, despite packing a great amount of flavour, but filling at the same time. With 1 average size head of white cabbage, you can easily feed 2 with this recipe.
What you’ll need
- white cabbage
- green lentils
- fresh parsley
- extra virgin olive oil
- smoked paprika
- fine salt
- black pepper
- lemon juice
- vegan yoghurt
- apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- salt & pepper
No complicated equipment needed for this recipe, it’s pretty straight forward:
- baking tray & non-stick parchment
- small bowl
Plus a serving dish, and knive.
How to make Roasted Cabbage Wedges
There are basically 3 parts to this recipe: the cabbage and marinade, the lentils & parsley and the yoghurt dressing. Ideally you start with pre-heating your oven to 190C and cutting your washed cabbage into wedges or discs. Use a long, sharp knife to do so, then place the cabbage wedges onto a lined baking tray.
It’s super easy to whip up the marinade: simply combine extra virgin olive oil, smoked paprika, fine salt, black pepper and a little water to receive a thick, but runny marinade. Use a cooking brush to brush your cabbage wedges with the marinade, then place the baking tray into your heated oven. Roast them. for. 20-25 minutes or until golden and softened.
Whilst your cabbage is in the oven, simply drain your tin of lentils and finely chop up your fresh parsley. Toss both to combine, then place them on your serving plate, ready for the roasted cabbage. In the meantime combine all ingredients for the yoghurt dressing in a small bowl.
Place your roasted cabbage on top of the bed of lentils, then sprinkle a little more parsley on top and drizzle the yoghurt dressing on top. Serve immediately & enjoy!
Variations for this recipe:
- legume: instead of lentils you can also add a variety of other beans or legumes. This dish is delicious with butter beans, cannellini beans, chickpeas or red kidney beans for example. Simply use what you have to hand!
- no lemons: the lemons are adding. as wonderful acidity to the yoghurt dressing. If you don’t have any lemon juice to hand, you can also drizzle in 1/2 tsp of lemon peel (you can buy those ready-made nowadays!), or simply add more vinegar to balance the flavour of the dressing.
- parsley: you can easily replace the parsley with coriander in this recipe, it’s just as delicious!
- lunchbox: this recipe is perfect for your lunch box! The roasted cabbage tastes great cold too, it still packs a great amount of flavour. If you’re planning to keep it for more than 12 hrs, then serve the yoghurt dressing separately.
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- healthy & delicious
- super tasty
- full of umami flavour
- easy to make
Making lentil salads great again: these roasted cabbage wedges definitely add the special something to your dish!
Served on a bed of lentils & with a drizzle of vegan yoghurt dressing.
- 1 small cabbage
- 1 tin green lentils
- a handful of fresh parsley
For the marinade:
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp water (optional)
For the yoghurt dressing:
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp vegan yoghurt
- 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C. Wash & slice the your cabbage into wedges of 1cm thickness and place them on a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment.
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade and brush the wedges with the marinade. Place them in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Drain the tin of lentils and chop the fresh parsley, combine both and plate them on a serving dish. Place the roasted wedges on top.
- Whip up the yoghurt dip by simply combining the ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle over the top of your dish & serve immediately.
Keywords: roasted cabbage, roasted cabbage wedges, cabbage wedges, roasted cabbage salad, lentil salad
Looking for more salad recipes? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered!