The ultimate vegan cheese sauce, super creamy & crazy delicious!
Deliciously cheesy – that’s how I like my recipes! This bowl is definitely a stunner for your next dinner party, so I can only recommend taking some time to seriously decorate the cheese bowl and make it the centrepiece!
I’ve served my cheesy bowl with croutons, apple crackers and chutney, but if you simply want an indulgently cheese-y bowl to dip some crackers or veggies in, you can of course skip making the croutons and crackers.
When it comes to the chutney however, I’d highly recommend giving this a go – it’s a fantastic addition to this cheese-y dip and the flavours compliment each other just perfectly! You can find the recipe for the chutney here.
- potatoes & carrots: On the one hand these are creating the wonderful colour of this vegan cheese sauce, but also help thicken the texture and the potatoes gives the sauce the sticky goo-ey-ness that we all love from melted cheese.
- cashews/cashew butter: vegan cheeses made from nuts are some of my favourites! Cashews are perfect for this. They add some healthy fats into this recipe and make the sauce wonderfully creamy.
- nutritional yeast: oh good old nooch, how I love thee! The best invention of the last century (or is it even older?)! Nutritional Yeast is what makes the sauce taste extra cheese-y and it’s a vital ingredient for all kinds of vegan cheese recipes. You can get yours from local health food stores or simply order it online. I get mine from BuyWholeFoodsOnline.
- coconut milk: the addition of coconut milk helps add volume to the sauce without making it too watery, as coconut milk is so wonderfully creamy! We’re only adding a small amount, so don’t worry – your cheese sauce won’t be coconut-ty.
- spices: I love using sea salt, garlic and onion powder this recipe. They create a wonderful flavour for this cheese sauce! Make sure to use powders over fresh garlic or onions as this will blend much smoother with the rest of the ingredients.
- tomato paste: the tomato paste helps add the perfectly cheese colour to your sauce! It also adds a light natural sweetness to the dish, that comes from the tomatoes.
- pickle brine & lemon juice: this is definitely a hack to take your cheese sauce to the next level! I love adding pickle brine and lemon juice to add some acidity to the sauce, that’s not only balancing the flavour profile but also comes with rich flavours itself. Yum!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: adding a little oil to the recipe makes it extra creamy and also helps your blender create the perfectly smooth & cheese-y sauce.
- tapioca starch: tapioca starch is a magical ingredient that will make your sauce absolutely goo-ey! It’s often also referred to as tapioca flour, so don’t worry: these two are the same thing. Two important things to note about using tapioca flour/starch: Firstly, you need to mix it with a little water before adding it in with the rest of the ingredients – otherwise you might get lumps – and secondly, tapioca needs to be heated to activate its goo-ey character.
How to serve vegan cheese sauce
This vegan cheese sauce is perfect for a variety of dishes. It’s perfect for dipping, as well as using it as a base for a cheesy pasta dish.
Why not serve this crazy delicious sauce in a large sharing bowl! Decorate with avocado, gherkins, cucumber, carrot shreds and raspberry & red onion chutney.
Here are a few other ideas of how to use this delicious vegan cheese sauce:
- vegan mac & cheese
- cheesy pasta bake
- potato gratin
- vegan cheese dip
- cheesy broccoli
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- oh-so creamy
- naturally gluten free
- super goo-ey
- mega cheesy
- simply delicious!
The ultimate vegan cheese sauce – amazing for dipping your favourite crackers and more!
- 550g potato, cooked
- 350 carrots, cooked
- 100g smooth cashew butter
- 5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 80ml coconut milk
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp pickle brine
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 5 Tbsp water
- Peel and cut the potatoes and carrots. Cook them in salted water until soft, then drain the water.
- Add all ingredients (minus the tapioca starch) to a blender. Blend on high speed until you get a smooth consistency.
- Combine the tapioca starch and water, then add this tapioca slurry into the blender and blend for 1 minute on high speed.
- Transfer the sauce to a saucepan, gently heat for 5 minutes on medium heat to activate the tapioca. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Serve this vegan cheese sauce alongside my raspberry chutney, it’s a match made in heaven!
Instead of cashew butter you can also use cashew nuts. Make sure. to either soak them in cold water for 4-6 hrs or boil them for 20 minutes (for the quick version) before adding them to the recipe.
Keywords: vegan cheese sauce, vegan cheese recipe, vegan cheese sauce recipe, easy vegan cheese
Check out these other vegan sauce recipes!