These Vegan Buttermilk Doughnuts are so incredibly easy to make! They are baked, no fried, wonderfully soft and sweet – and the base is ready within just a few minutes.
- 125ml soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 150g buckwheat flour
- 100g brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 smashed banana
For the icing:
- 2 Tbsp soy milk
- 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter
- 250g icing sugar
For the topping:
- dark vegan chocolate, melted
- flaked almonds
1. In a large jug, combine the soy milk with the apple cider vinegar, stir and set aside to create the vegan buttermilk.
3. Add the smashed banana and melted vegan butter to the vegan buttermilk and stir thoroughly.
4. Gently pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Add your dough to a greased doughnut tray and. bake at 180C for 10 minutes. Let them cool down entirely before adding the glaze.
6. Combine the ingredients for the glaze: soy milk, butter and icing sugar and cover your doughnuts in the glaze. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then add the melted vegan chocolate to decorate. Top with flaked almonds and either serve directly or let them sit for the chocolate and icing to dry before serving.
If you’re not gluten-free you can simply swap out the buckwheat flour for self-raising flour.
Keywords: vegan doughnuts, buttermilk doughnuts, baked vegan doughnuts, vegan donuts, buttermilk donuts