- 2 cups spelt flour – I used Sharpham Park‘s Organic Spelt & Rye Flour blend (you can of course replace this with a flour of your choice or also a gluten free version, I like the taste of the spelt flour ;))
- 1/3 cup Splenda Granulated
- 1/3 cup apple sauce (ready made or DIY)
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 Tbsp flax seeds & 2 Tbsp lukewarm water, mix well then pop into the fridge for 15 minutes)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (or any plant-based milk of y our choice)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- For the coating: 2-3 Tbsp Splenda Granulated and 1 tsp cinnamon
- You will need 2 bowls for this recipe: In the first one combine all dry ingredients, in the second all the wet ingredients. By blended them separately first you can ensure that all ingredients are evenly spread throughout the dough.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and form a ball out of the dough. Wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for an hour to firm up.
- When the time has elapsed, Preheat your oven to 170 C. Remove the dough from the fridge and cut in half. Place one half in between a lightly flour-dusted baking sheet and the plastic wrap, then roll out as thin as you can. The wrap will prevent the dough from sticking to your rolling pin.
- Once done use a pizza cutter to cut vertical and horizontal lines across the dough to create the crunchy cinnamon squares. Coat with a mix of Splenda Granulated and Cinnamon and then off into the oven!
- Repeat with the second half of the dough and bake both for about 30 minutes. Keep checking back on it to make sure that the dough evenly crisps. If your oven is hotter on one corner than on the other (my old oven used to be like that!) then make sure to flip the baking tray around after half of the baking time.
- Remove from the oven when finished and let it cool down completely before you break the cereal into the pre-cut squares. Keep the cold cereal in a large air tight container – I used a huge mason jar.
Keywords: breakfast, vegan cereal, refined sugar free