There’s nothing more divine than a homemade Roasted Red Pepper Pasta sauce, right? I love experimenting with different ingredients, and in fact, this recipe also started as an experiment and an overflow of sweet red peppers in the fridge from a recent photo shoot. So I decided to use them up in the best possible way: with Roasted Red Pepper Pasta!
Now, I’ve seen people roast peppers on the gas stove on the open flame. Myself, I don’t have a gas stove however, so for me that endeavour would be a little difficult. Instead I always roast my peppers in the oven – I simply wash and brush them clean, remove the stem and chop them out roughly, drizzle with a little oil and off into the oven!
With this method the skin remains on the peppers, which I absolutely don’t mind, as my high speed blender can get through it quite easily. If you however prefer to remove the skins upfront, make sure to grill the peppers in the top of the oven as a whole until the skin cracks. Carefully remove the skin from the peppers, then chop and de-stem.
If you’re on the gluten free side, I am certain this sauce goes just as well with gluten free pasta – I can imagine it fitting very well with Sweet Potato Pasta. I actually have some in the kitchen myself… I think that calls for a repeat-cook & trial 😉
CREAMY ROASTED RED PEPPER PASTAPrint
3 Sweet red peppers
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
pinch of sea salt
3 Tbsp tomato puree
50 ml stock
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 220 degrees.
2. Wash your peppers, then remove the stems and chop them roughly.
3. Transfer the chopped peppers to a baking tray, brush them with Extra Virgin Olive Oil & sprinkle a pinch of salt across – then put them in the oven on a medium level and roast the peppers until the skin begins to crack.
4. Add the roasted peppers to a high-speed blender together with the tomato puree, stock and nutritional yeast and blend until you receive a smooth paste.
5. Pour the sauce into a saucepan and heat on the stove, season with salt & pepper to taste & serve alongside your favourite pasta. I personally love to add rocket salad on the side also
- Serving Size: 5 serving
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 15mg
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
Keywords: Roasted Red Pepper Pasta,Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta,Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta(vegan)
Top Tip – Finding the right pasta
When trying to find the right pasta, I always look at how well the Roasted Red Pepper Pasta holds the sauce. Pasta with ridges and little ‘pockets’ always holds sauce better than smooth pasta and in this case, the sauce needs to be well-held in order to bring out the full flavour of the dish. I would recommend using Conchiglie (like I did in the picture here!) or Fusilli, which are masters at holding sauce well.