This blog post contains a paid collaboration with Naturli.
Ever had that sudden craving for some really good comfort food? Whether hungover or not, a good ol’ burger is always at the top of my favourite comfort foods – and no, I definitely was not hungover when I created this one, but feel free to be when you’re trying this recipe out 😉
What inspired me to create a vegan Big Mac version were the latest plant-based patties by Naturli. They are a Danish brand and all about the plant based comfort foods! Their current range includes burger patties & vegan mince, plant-based milk drinks, the best vegan butter I’ve ever tried and also ice cream (which sadly is not yet launching in the UK) – and it’s super exciting that their patties & mince are available in Sainsburys from 27th June! I definitely can’t wait, cause this stuff is absolutely amazing.
I actually went to their launch party a couple of weeks ago which was at the Danish Embassy – and I yes, I felt super official going to an event at the embassy, ha! Their lovely team had a couple of burgers prepared as well as drinks and ice cream (in amazing flavours such as hazelnut & liquorice!). And let me tell you: that hazelnut ice cream was pure perfection! It’s been at least 7 years since I last had some, but growing up nut-flavours including hazelnut were always my absolute favourites and the Naturli one was to die for. Seems like I have to move to Denmark now, as it’s not yet launching in the UK, ay?
Sorry for getting off track here with ice cream talks – let’s get back to the burger patties!
As I started to prepare my ingredients for the Big Mac I had a sad realisation: I was out of vegan cheese slices! What do to? Well I chose to make my own vegan cheese in form of a thick cheese sauce to replace the sliced cheese, but of course feel free to use ready cut slices if you have them available (though self-made tastes better!) 😉
The Burger Basics:
1 Burger Bun (preferably with sesame seeds)
1 Small Onion
1/2 Burger Bun for the middle part (alternatively you can use half of an English muffin!)
2 Naturli Patties (= 1 package)
1 Leaves of Lettuce
1/2 pickled gherkin
Salt & Pepper
Oil for Frying
Big Mac Sauce:
1/2 cup Vegan Mayonnaise
1 tsp. Yellow Mustard
1 Tbsp Juice from the Pickles
1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
Cheese Sauce (optional):
1/2 cup Soy Milk
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Paprika Powder
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 tsp Ground Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Tapioca Flour/Starch
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
1. Let’s start by slicing the burger bun & middle bun for our Big Mac and carefully toasting them in a non-stick pan over medium heat (without oil!). Keep a close eye on the buns so they don’t burn or get too try! They should only be slightly toasted – this should take approximately 2 minutes. Set aside when done.
2. To a non-stick pan, add a dash of oil and place the Naturli patties in the pan over medium to high heat. Flip once the bottom half is nicely browned and add a little salt & pepper for seasoning – you can even hear the patties sizzle in the pan!
3. Whilst you’re keeping an eye on the patties, you can prepare your cheese sauce by whisking all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once the sauce gets hot enough you can tell that the texture begins to change as the tapioca starch is activated. Set aside to cool once you have a thick & gooey consistency.
4. To create the amazing Big Mac Sauce combine all ingredients with a whisk (or a fork will do the trick also!)
5. Wash the lettuce, finely chop the onion and carefully slice the gherkin – and don’t forget to take the patties off the heat when they’re done 😉
6. Assembly time! And in order to give the burger the perfect finish, let’s create the perfect order for our Big Mac, which is:
Big Mac Sauce
Cheese Sauce (alternatively: vegan cheese slice)
1 Naturli Patty
Big Mac Sauce
1 Naturli Patty
Cheese Sauce (or slice)
7. Admire and Enjoy!
Oh my days, right? At least that was my thought when I took the first bite! It’s been YEARS since I last had a Big Mac (obviously) and this recipe goes to show that no animals need to be harmed for this flavour explosion in your mouth. You’re welcome!
If you’d like to find out more about Naturli, check out the information on their website! I always like collaborating with like-minded brands that help make this planet a more conscious, mindful & sustainable place – especially without sacrificing on taste 😉