Yes, it is true – I have let you wait for this a little while, but my recipe video for the Vegan Sweet Potato Scones is now finally available on Youtube as well!
– 2 sweet potatoes – cooked and mashed
– 350g self-raising flour (Choose your favourite gluten free flour to make these gluten free)
– a pinch of salt
– 1tsp baking powder
– 85g vegan butter
– 100ml soy milk
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– juice of 1/2 lemon
For the glaze:
– 200g icing sugar
– 1 Tbsp maple syrup
– 1 Tbsp soy milk
– crushed pecans
1. Cook and mash the sweet potatoes.
2. In a large bowl mix the flour with the salt and baking powder, then crumble in the butter and mix well to get a crumbly texture.
3. In a small saucepan heat the milk and add the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
4. Add the sweet potato mash to the flour mixture and stir well. Slowly add in the hot liquid.
5. Using a pastry blender, combine all ingredients well until you have a smooth, thick dough. Transfer onto a floured table top and knead for 5 minutes.
6. Roll out the dough about 2cm thick and cut out the scone shapes using a round cookie cutter.
7. Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with parchment.
8. Add the scones onto the parchment, leaving at least 2cm between them, so that they won’t stick together during the baking process. Brush the shapes with a little bit of soy milk.
9. Bake for 10 minutes until they are slightly starting to brown on the top. For even browning, turn the tray around halfway through the baking time. Transfer the scones to a cooling rack after.
10. Prepare the icing by mixing the icing sugar, maple syrup and soy milk well until you get a thick paste. Carefully brush or spoon onto the glaze onto your scones and let it drip down on the sides. Top immediately with the crushed pecans (or any other topping of your choice)
I hope you enjoy these!
They are a perfect sweet but healthy snack for yourself and also children. Alternatively you can also top them with melted chocolate. If you are avoiding sugar at all, you can enjoy them without the glaze of course.
Do you want to see more recipe videos? Then make sure to subscribe to my Youtube channel!